1. Ask a blogger for a favor, especially if you have no intention of reading their blog.
- Bonus points for starting your request like-a-so: "Hi, I don't read your blog, but would you mind..."
- Bonus points for not visiting the sites of those you ask.
4. Avoid writing comments that resemble actual conversation. Comments that begin and end with "Great post!", "I agree!", or "Ditto!" are best.
- Bonus points for fawning.
- Bonus points for not linking to their original post. They love that.
- Gold star for submitting your copy to Digg.
7. Write sponsored reviews without disclosure. People need mystery; fill that need.
- Bonus points for reviews that are irrelevant to your readers. People need variety, too.
- Promote your link with every comment
- Send cut-and-paste messages on social networking sites
- Use a blogger's contact form to promote your site/blog/product
- Et cetera
- Bonus points for regularly featuring link-building posts devoid of actual content
- Gold star for having more links than visitors.
Kind thanks to all who contributed to this post via the "What Frustrates You The Most About Blogging?" thread: Liz, Steven, Jonathan, TK, Lora, Matt, and everyone.
Need more Bad Advice?